Compass Intelligence, a global consulting and market analytics firm, has released its first study on the M2M market: The Next-Generation M2M and Connected Device Business Market – A Paradigm Shift: From Connecting Millions of People, to Connecting Billions of Things.
Findings from the research, which is part of Compass Intelligence’s new Connected Worlds subscription service indicates that the next-generation M2M and connected device market will reach 87 million endpoints by 2015, with a compound annual growth rate of over 25%.
“We have entered an era where every device that can benefit from being connected via a cellular connection to the internet will be connected to the internet; and that this hyper-connectivity coupled together with emerging cloud services will propel society into new ways of interacting with the world around us,” explains James Brehm, Senior Strategist of Compass Intelligence.”
“Much confusion exists around what makes up M2M. In defining the market, the GSMA includes devices like connected iPads and other media tablets, some Tier-1 MNOs include connected CE like picture frames, PNDs, and the like, while others including M2M specialists and M2MVNOs look solely to B2B applications,” states Brehm.
Key findings of the research include the following:
- The largest B2B vertical market is the transportation and distribution vertical, with over 30% market share.
- Growth will come from areas where there is a demonstrable ROI and that are easiest to measure increased productivity and efficiency.
- Cloud computing and cookie cutter hosted applications will drive M2M adoption.
- Industry consolidation will occur rapidly over the next twelve to eighteen months.
- By 2015 more than 40 percent of M2M connections in the U.S. could be running on 3G, 3.5G, or 4G networks.