Bringing a scalable, secure solution to utilities, meter manufacturers, and mobile network operators.
At European Utility Week, Europe’s largest annual metering conference, global smart energy communications leader Trilliant introduced its next-generation Smart Meter M2M System, allowing utilities flexibility to choose meters and mobile network operators while ensuring a secure and scalable smart meter solution.
With the recent decision by the UK Government to use mobile networks as a key component of the British smart meter rollout, the viability of mobile networks to connect a Smart Meter system has been validated. Utilities around the world will be watching this ambitious programme. The Trilliant Smart Meter M2M System, which has been successfully deployed for smart metering in the UK, helps utilities and Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) deploy smart meter and smart grid communications projects with the confidence that the systems are secure, scalable, and flexible. Purpose built for smart metering and able to link to existing MNO M2M management platforms, the Trilliant Smart Metering M2M System gives utilities a fully integrated connectivity experience, from commissioning of Smart Meters to downloading of energy tariffs and requests for meter data. Trilliant is working with industry partners to accelerate the deployment of the Smart Meter M2M System in smart meter rollouts across Europe and around the world.
This new Smart Meter M2M System further extends the Trilliant Platform, combining a global 2.4 GHz RF mesh, M2M cellular, broadband mesh, and other standards-based technologies to give utilities the flexibility to choose the right technology and rollout strategy for their territory and regulatory environment, all while meeting cost and performance targets. The Trilliant platform is today used by more than 200 utilities worldwide.
“Many utilities around the world would like to leverage mobile infrastructure to provide the benefits of smart metering to their customers,” said Rob Conant, Chief Marketing Officer of Trilliant. “However a secure and scalable implementation requires an in-depth understanding of both smart metering and networking, and the Trilliant team has been able to address these challenges.”
“With this next-generation Smart Meter M2M System, the Trilliant platform can provide secure use of mobile networks that scale to even the largest of the global utilities.”
Trilliant new Smart Meter M2M System includes a number of new innovations:
Purpose built for Smart Metering
- Full-featured support for utility metering processes such as meter reading, connect/disconnect, time of use tariffs, and data privacy
- Extended support for future enhancement such as pre-pay, debt recovery, meter disablement and enablement
- Meter agnostic, with built-in support for DLMS/COSEM and ANSI standards-based meters
Optimised use of mobile networks
- Autonomous data push for scheduled activities
- Engineered to reduce network congestion
- Built to work in the constrained environment of legacy IPv4 networks, and to exploit the benefits of new IPv6 networks
- Supports customisable roaming rules
- Compatible with 2G, 3G, and 4G networks
Advanced security and customer data protection
- Mutual device authentication
- Secure data transfers with digital envelopes and Transport-Layer Security (TLS)
- Certificate and key rotation and certificate revocation
- Application-level authentication and role based access control (RBAC)
Scalable for the largest utilities
- Highly efficient, multi-threaded task engine
- Modularised application architecture
- Horizontal scalability of cloud software through virtual machines
Full over-the-air upgrade support for communications and meters
Access to Trilliant’s multi-technology platform
- Trilliant’s broad platform allows customers to choose the right technology to meet cost and performance targets
Trilliant will be providing more details about the Smart Meter M2M System at European Utility Week 2013 at the Exhibition and Convention Centre Amsterdam RAI from 15th-17th October.
Trilliant are exhibiting on booth G.23.