Bitdefender has just released the 2nd generation of its Bitdefender BOX, a hardware security appliance designed to offer protection to all the home systems and devices connecting to the Internet. The protection applies to all devices running operating systems like Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS, but also to Kindles, smart TVs, gaming consoles, smart thermostats, or any other internet-enabled device. At a time where IoT security has become a hot topic, Bitdefender brings to the consumer market an easy-to-use solution to protect connected home devices against a large variety of cyber threats.
Advanced security features for connected home devices
The Bitdefender BOX has been designed as a Smart Home Cybersecurity hub able to secure any home network with all the internet-enabled devices attached to it. And the protection doesn’t stop at the front door. Whether you’re connecting to public wifi or using your mobile network, your devices will stay secure out in the world as they do in your home.
The Bitdefender team has done a nice job, designing an elegant yet powerful box able to run a large set of security features on its Dual Core Cortex A9. Embedded wireless connectivity supports 802.11ac MiMo Wi-Fi delivering up to 1 Gbps throughput.
The BOX comes with the following smart home security services pre-integrated:
- Web scanning: The BOX checks every website that the devices access and in case the website is listed as malicious in our cloud database, the BOX will block access to it.
- On demand Vulnerability Assessment: The BOX offers the option to scan a certain device and check for vulnerabilities. In case the device is found vulnerable, the user will be notified in the BOX managing app regarding the vulnerability found (week credentials, outdated firmware, CVE vulnerabilities, etc). This also includes tips on how to address and secure your network, based on the specific vulnerability BOX has identified.
- Device detection: Once a new device is connected to the network protected by the BOX, the user will be informed through a notification displayed in the managing app of the BOX and will be asked if he wants to allow the device to be connected to his network.
- Exploit prevention: This engine identifies and blocks exploits through a mechanism similar to other popular IDS solutions in the market. It includes generic signatures to cover a wide array of attacks as well as specific signatures wherever needed (noting that the signature list is constantly expanded).
- Anomaly detection: The anomaly detection engine uses machine learning and cloud correlation to understand how devices should behave under normal circumstances and is able to accurately identify, block and alert upon any malicious activity.
- Brute force protection: This security module blocks forced authentication on devices connected to the BOX protected network.
- Sensitive data protection: This module identifies whenever credit card information or passwords is sent over a non-encrypted connection and block the attempt. The user is free to surf a non-secured website without issues but any attempt to send sensitive information will be redirected to a warning page.
When operating in Network Level Protection mode, all the devices connected to the BOX-protected network benefit from the here-above security features.
The BOX can also operate in Local Protection mode. With this option, the Bitdefender BOX offers extended protection to all devices connected in the home network but also outside of it with the help of the Bitdefender Total Security package. This also includes a range of extra protection features like VPN brought through Bitdefender Total Security on Windows, Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac on Mac OS, Bitdefender Mobile Security on Android and iOS.
Setup and System requirements
The most common configuration is using the BOX with the router provided by your ISP but the BOX can also be used with a combo of ISP provided router + personal router. At last, it is also possible to use the BOX configured as a standalone router if you wish to create a new Wi-Fi network. Whatever option you choose, the setup process is quick and smooth.
Bitdefender BOX can be installed and managed only using a dedicated app, available for devices running Android 4.0 or newer and iOS 7.0 or newer. The network level protection does not have any operating system requirements. The only requirement is that the devices need to be able to connect to the BOX protected network.
The Local Protection, Device Management and VPN have the normal Core Products system requirements, Windows 7 or newer for Bitdefender Total Security, Mac OS 10.9.5 for Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac, iOS 9 and Android 4 for Bitdefender Mobile Security.
BOX package content
The Bitdefender BOX package contains:
- The Bitdefender BOX.
- A power adapter for powering on the unit.
- An Ethernet cable – for connecting BOX to the existing router.
- A Quick Start guide – to get started with the setup.
- A Quick Start guide – for helping get started with the setup.
- A warranty card.
The Bitdefender BOX is offered at $249.99 and can be ordered online from the Bitdefender online store.
It is to be noted that apart from its security BOX, Bitdefender offers a free IoT scanner that looks for vulnerable devices and passwords, and offers detailed security recommendations for home networks. If you are not ready yet to get equipped with the BOX, we recommend at least to try this smart (and free) tool which will scan your home Wi-Fi network for weaknesses.
With the fast development and deployment of IoT devices, new security threats appear almost every day. Although we can expect that enterprises are in a position to address their IoT security issues by setting up smart security protocols and sophisticated equipments, most likely it is not the case for the millions of people using internet-connected devices at home. With its BOX 2, Bitdefender offers to the consumer market an efficient and affordable smart home security solution which may soon become a must-have in any home environment. Easy to setup and packed with the latest cybersecurity features, it is an excellent option for everyone looking to be on the safe side when using IoT devices at home or on the go.