Wirnet iStation Delivers Intuitive Operational Features and Strong Security Safeguards. For Partners and Customers in Major Internet of Things Vertical Markets.
Kerlink today announced a powerful new member of its Wirnet™ family that delivers 4G backhaul connectivity and fully integrated internal antennas, and fulfils customers’ requirements for quick and easy outdoor LoRaWAN® IoT network deployments and management.
“Kerlink is well known as a leader in technical expertise and high-performance LoRaWAN® equipment,” said Jean-Philippe Balberde, Kerlink’s innovative solutions and products marketing manager. “As the IoT market continues to mature, IoT vertical-market companies told us they want to take the next step: they expect global solutions that are quick to integrate, easy to deploy, secure, and straightforward to administer. The industrial-grade Wirnet™ iStation embodies the significant R&D resources Kerlink has invested to meet this legitimate demand.”
“Combined with Kerlink Wanesy™ Management Center as a network management suite, this new LoRaWAN gateway is a unique, robust, and performant end-to-end connectivity solution with powerful remote management features that allow customers to conveniently maximize return on their network investments.”
Kerlink’s addition of 4G backhaul connectivity replaces 3G connectivity, which is inadequate in some situations and is being decommissioned in an increasing number of countries. 4G also is a popular choice for cellular backhaul for data transport to cloud-based applications. Integrated antennas reduce deployment costs by eliminating the need for additional antennas used as accessories, and they comply with “right-to-use” for each antenna on some deployment sites.
Designed for global LoRaWAN deployments, Wirnet iStation supports multiple ISM bands, such as 868 Mhz, 915 Mhz, and 923 Mhz, and is certified by regulatory agencies in Europe (CE), the U.S. (FCC), Canada (IC), South Korea (KC), and other countries.
New easy deployment and operational features of the Wirnet iStation include:
- Eight LoRa™ channels RX (125 kHz, multi-spreading factor) and 1 channel RX (250 kHz or 500 kHz, mono spreading factor) + 1 channel RX (FSK) to get 10 channel RX + 1 channel TX, allowing up to 1.3 million messages transmitted per day.
- Bidirectional communication with a range of more than 15 km in suburban areas and more than two km in urban areas.
- IP67 new light, metal casing offering enhanced protection and large operating range in demanding environments.
- Mounting kit allowing simple and quick installation without opening the casing.
- Flexibility and easy access for backhaul connectivity:
- Ethernet 10/100 Mbps (RJ45)
- SIM card (mini-SIM format)
- Power over Ethernet (POE) supply, DC supply (e.g. for solar panel use), with remote power control and alerting.
- Programmable power and system-status LEDs controlled by software.
- USB (Type C) connector for debug probe.
- Convenient and straightforward configuration, management, monitoring, control, and update via Kerlink Wanesy™ Management Center.
- Remotely configurable and manageable via intuitive web GUI.
- Remote access via secure shell (SSH).
- Built-in high-rejection filters for co-localization with other radio devices and enabling strong interference resistance for better data transmission and permanent high availability.
Kerlink Wirnet™ iStation security features also include software and hardware architectures such as Prove & Run SecureBoot™ and SecureStorage™ to safely manage certificates required for trusted communications through VPN backhaul, and to secure and protect applications running on devices.
“Leveraging our experience with the Wirnet Station, the Wirnet iStation was designed jointly with customers to meet their operational needs and to offer very intuitive configuration features,” Balberde said. “These features allow quicker deployment and safer installation, without any compromise on the technical possibilities and still allowing customers to use their own software in a secure environment.”
The new addition to Kerlink’s gateway family capitalizes on the strengths of the Wirnet Station introduced in 2014 and the first commercial LoRaWAN gateway available worldwide. The Wirnet iStation incorporates critical features of the original product. These include helping mobile virtual network operators, cable operators, private businesses, or public authorities to boost their IoT business with reliable networks that can connect high volumes of end-devices, and continuously manage millions of bidirectional messages.