- First platform of the LoRa Edge portfolio is a geolocation solution revolutionizing IoT devices for asset management
- Platform integrates an ultra-low power LoRa® transceiver, GNSS and Wi-Fi scanning technologies
- Combining LoRa Edge solutions and Cloud-based geolocation services creates a unique system architecture that offers the best balance between location accuracy and low power consumption
Semtech Corporation has today announced LoRa Edge™, a new highly versatile and low power software defined LoRa®-based platform that will enable a wide portfolio of applications for indoor and outdoor asset management, targeting industrial, building, home, agriculture, transportation, and logistics markets.
The first product from this portfolio is a geolocation solution that revolutionizes the development of Internet of Things (IoT) devices for asset management applications, featuring low power Wi-Fi and GNSS sniffing capabilities combined with simple to use and cost effective LoRa Cloud™ geolocation and device management services to significantly reduce the cost and complexity of locating and monitoring IoT assets.
“Semtech continually delivers Internet of Things (IoT) solutions that simplify and accelerate the development of LPWAN applications,” said Pedro Pachuca, Director of IoT Wireless in Semtech’s Wireless and Sensing Products Group.
“LoRa Edge and LoRa Cloud geolocation services enable customers to develop ultra-low power applications for a variety of industries and will expand the mass adoption of LoRa in the IoT ecosystem.”
Over the next decade, 500 billion devices are expected to connect to the internet (Cisco), as organizations continue to shift towards a more IoT-focused business strategy, and the majority of those IoT devices require some form of localization capability either at point of install or through the asset’s life.
The LoRa Edge geolocation platform will enable solution providers to leverage the unique localization capabilities of LoRa as well as GNSS and Wi-Fi scanning capabilities from a single chip solution, allowing customers to choose the best localization tool for the application task they are addressing.
By removing the need for incremental GNSS and Wi-Fi components, LoRa Edge reduces the bill of material (BOM) costs of devices and significantly reduces design and procurement complexity. With the addition of LoRa Cloud geolocation services, providing easy-to-use and cost effective TDOA, GNSS and Wi-Fi-based location calculation in the Cloud to dramatically reduce device power requirements and improve asset management efficiency, LoRa Edge enables customers to further manage total cost of ownership (TCO), paying only when they need an asset to be located. The best-in-class key provisioning at point of manufacture and a secure join process further simplifies the development of IoT solutions, which adhere to customers exacting expectations of security.
The first LoRa Edge chipset targeted with geolocation (LR1110) is available today and more products from this portfolio will be released in the first half of 2020.
Key Product Features:
Multi-Purpose Radio Front-End
- 150 – 2700 MHz continuous frequency synthesizer range
- GPS/BeiDou scanning
- Wi-Fi passive scanning
Low-Power LoRa/(G)FSK RF Transceiver
- Worldwide frequency bands support in the range 150 – 960 MHz
- High power PA path +22 dBm
- High efficiency PA path +15 dBm
- Fully compatible with the LoRaWAN® standard
- Hardware support for AES-128 encryption/decryption based algorithms
- Handling device parameters such as DevEUI and JoinEUI
- Protects confidential information such as encryption keys
- Stores NwkKey, AppKey, as defined in the LoRaWAN standard