With the increasing commercial use of 5G networks by global carriers, many 5G application scenarios are being realized. Among them, indoor network service is an application scenario in which consumers directly use 5G.
General carriers traditionally provide users with wired broadband service through a telephone wire, optical fiber, coaxial cable or other media. However, it is impossible to provide high-quality network bandwidth services in some regions due to various reasons, such as inadequate infrastructure and sparse population. The emergence of 5G networks provides a new solution for carriers. The three major features of 5G, namely high bandwidth, low latency and massive connections, provide more wireless Internet service possibilities for carriers and users. It’s clear that the ultra-high speed of 5G networks is close to or even faster than the speed of existing average home broadband networks. Fiber-to-the-premises deployments are no longer necessary. Carriers only need a 5G CPE to provide users with high-speed Internet access.
However, indoor application scenarios are diversified and the environment is complex with many wall structures and obstacles. 5G uses sub6 GHZ and MMW transmission; the transmission speed is faster, but its coverage and penetration are limited. So it’s necessary to supplement 5G with Wi-Fi 6 technology in complex indoor application scenarios. Therefore, SIMCom has launched the high-performance low-power Wi-Fi 6 module W80 to cope with complex indoor application scenarios.
SIMCom W80 Features
- Support Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) functions and technical features;
- Compatibility with previous versions such as IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac;
- Support low-power remote Bluetooth;
- High transmission rate: up to1.775 Gbps DBS;
- Small size: 24*17mm;
- Low power consumption;
5G CPE integrates a variety of new-generation wireless technologies, including 5G and Wi-Fi 6. It converts 5G signals into Wi-Fi signals. Through the perfect combination of 5G and Wi-Fi 6 technology, users can connect different devices to a network by means of Wi-Fi and enjoy the high-speed network service brought by 5G.
In the eMBB use case, CPE requires no wiring. A mobile data transmission card is enough. This means that users can connect to a 5G network for Internet connectivity wherever there is a 4G/5G signal. Moreover, Wi-Fi 6 enables connection services in complex indoor scenarios, improving user mobility and convenience compared with traditional FTTX devices.
- 5G can complement fixed wireless use of Wi-Fi 6 in homes (such as the 5G home service recently launched by Verizon). With 5G, service providers can reduce the cost of their deployments and operations and enable customers to activate their Internet connection services through self-service mechanisms.
- Wi-Fi 6 can complement 5G by solving such problems as the poor indoor penetration of MMW, complexity and privacy of application terminals and scenarios.
SIMCom has launched SIM8200 and SIM8300 (mmW) series of 5G modules, as well as the W80 module for Wi-Fi 6. SIMCom uses its rich technical experience in 5G + WiFi 6 to help customers quickly launches and commercializes their products.