Seeking to know how IoT is helping to create smart campuses in our modern day? The first and most vital thing to understand is what IoT is all about.
This article discusses how IoT technology has been adopted to build smart campuses. Amidst that, other relevant and educative information on IoT will be unleashed. Ready?
Let’s get started.
What Is IoT Technology in Simple Words?
IoT is the short form for the Internet of Things. What exactly does this mean? It refers to the network of objects embedded with software and various kinds of technologies interconnected to exchange or provide data.
Objects like bulbs and thermostats, industrial tools, machinery, and medical apparatus are collected to produce IoT devices. They are used to monitor, control, and improve efficiency, safety, and productivity.
Below are some of the applications of IoT, as well as a few examples.
IoT Technology Examples and IoT Applications
IoT has a wide range of applications. These applications have helped in various ways to make homes, schools, and cities a better place. Some common IoT technologies include but are not limited to the following:
- Smart Homes: These are IoT devices used to automate and control appliances used in the home. Thermostats, lights, and security systems all fall into the category of smart homes IoT devices.
- Smart Cities: Smart Cities are IoT devices that help to ensure orderliness in the city. They help manage traffic, energy consumption, and public safety.
- Industrial Automation: Often used in industries, these are devices used to monitor and control industrial machinery. Robots and conveyor belts are examples of industrial automation.
- HealthCare: Healthcare IoT devices are used to monitor patient’s health and provide remote care. Pumps, monitoring devices, wheelchairs, etc. are connected to IoT sensors and help to easily track patients and items simultaneously.
- Logistics: IoT devices in this category are used to track the supply of goods from purchase point to delivery, thus helping to improve supply chain efficiency.
IoT is a powerful technology with the potential to improve our lives in many ways.
At this point, let’s focus on the applications of internet of things in education.
IoT In Education
IoT in education is simply the application of IoT technology to serve educational purposes. IoT has significantly improved the education industry, enabling faster access to learning resources via IoT devices and systems. Internet-connected devices and online resources are changing the way students work. As part of the resources available online to support students in their studies, it is worth mentioning term paper writing services. Just by connecting with professional writers who provide well-written, original content that meets their academic requirements, students get assignment writing service they could ever wish for. This is one of the many possibilities offered by Internet-connected devices to facilitate learning.
IoT solutions for education include but are not limited to the following:
- Enhanced Interactivity and Collaboration
- Learning Experience with Technology
- Improved Classroom Participation
- Optimized Resource Utilization
- Augmented Safety and Security Measures
- Enhanced Operational Efficiency
Right now, we would focus on the best ways IoT technology has helped to create smart campuses across the world.
IoT has continued to transform the state of education, causing improvement in various significant ways to learn systems on campuses across the world.
Below are the 7 best ways IoT technology has been helping to create smart campuses.
- Conducive Campus Environment: Within university campuses, there have been problems with noise pollution, affecting the well-being of students. This also affects the quality of the academic environment. Thanks to IoT technology, universities have been able to use IoT systems to create a pollution-free, learning environment in various ways.
- Easy Attendance Tracking: IoT steps in to help track attendance and saves you the stress of having to do it manually. With Barcode-based identity cards and biometric data, attendance tracking can be automated and taken accurately. In addition to that, IoT systems offer a direct line of communication with parents. In case of absence, emails are automatically sent to parents fostering accountability.
- Smart Parking: In the University, one of the common problems students’ faces is parking their vehicles. At pick hours, this causes traffic. With IoT-driven parking management systems, traffic flow is controlled, and parking spaces are efficiently controlled. In addition, IoT technology helps to boost revenue when people are charged for exceeding the parking time allotted to them.
- Smart Lockers: Smart Lockers are IoT devices that make the process of picking up items from one place to another seamless and efficient. Using IoT systems, the risk of lost or stolen items is past tense. This leaves students with the best delivery experience.
- IoT-Powered Laboratories: Laboratories are grounds for innovation in colleges and institutions of education. With IoT connectivity, smart laboratories have emerged. Devices such as multimeters, oscilloscopes, and electron microscopes are networked to help students generate data effectively. With the adoption of IoT, research is better carried out with much greater accuracy and insight.
- Interactive Learning: IoT has made learning interactive via Augmented Reality (AR). Students can easily scan barcodes relating to their coursework to access 3D visuals and detailed educational information. >ith IoT-powered AR, in-depth experimental studies in sciences in the fields of anatomy can be brought to life. This development makes learning engaging, fun and interactive.
- IoT Vigilance: IoT has taken safety on campuses to a higher level. IoT-enabled devices, like cameras built around sensitive campus locations, fraud, and suspicious behaviours are easily detected and curbed before they cause harm. Triggering responses at various intervals come from IoT sensors connected to these smart devices to prevent dangers or avert them. IoT systems serve as a timely rescue when it comes to securing items and properties. Moreso, it has helped to enhance learning and incorporated technologies to make education fun for students on campuses.
IoT technology has been helping to create smart campuses in various amazing ways.
Some of these ways as highlighted in this article include creating a conducive learning environment, enhancing attendance tracking and interactive learning.