Wind River®, a world leader in embedded software for intelligent connected systems, today introduced the latest version of Wind River Intelligent Device Platform, a complete software development environment used for building machine-to-machine (M2M) applications and devices that communicate with the cloud.
The platform provides ready-to-use components to secure, manage, and connect Internet of Things (IoT) gateways.
- Wind River Intelligent Device Platform is a complete software development environment targeted at gateways and hubs
- Latest version of the platform includes new and enhanced security, connection protocol, and gateway software capabilities
- Company continues to demonstrate its commitment to helping organizations capitalize on emerging Internet of Things opportunities
Intelligent Device Platform is a scalable, sustainable, and secure solution that simplifies the development, integration, and deployment of IoT gateways. It is based on the Wind River market-leading operating systems, which are standards-compliant and fully tested, as well as Wind River development tools. The platform contains device security, smart connectivity, rich network options and device management.
Santhosh Nair, general manager of intelligent systems group at Wind River, said:
“Making the most of IoT means integrating new and existing devices in an operationally efficient ecosystem, and connecting via gateways will be the most practical way to achieve scalability and minimize cost.”
“Companies are looking for integrated solutions to help them develop compelling applications while protecting their investments, so we’re very pleased to offer a flexible platform to address these increasing needs that we’re seeing across market segments, including industrial, medical, and transportation.”
The latest version of Intelligent Device Platform includes the following key features:
- Gateway security: Delivers security features designed to secure the communication channel, the data, and the end device
- Application enablement: Provides Lua, Java, and OSGi application environments to enable portable, scalable, and reusable application development on both resource-constrained and full-featured devices
- Device connectivity: Embraces IoT protocol MQTT for data transportation and native support for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, ZigBee, and short-range wireless protocols widely used in IoT devices
- Remote device management: Supports well-established management protocols such as TR-069 and OMA DM
“Layering in new technologies, such as gateways, into existing legacy systems allows companies to maximize their infrastructure investments, while acquiring the intelligence needed to drive next-generation design innovation,” said Kumar Balasubramanian, general manager of Intelligent Solutions at Intel®.
“Technology offerings like Wind River Intelligent Device Platform play a critical role in the end-to-end approach that is required to best capitalize on emerging IoT opportunities.”
Intelligent Device Platform is optimized for Intel architecture and is an integral part of the Intel-based family of intelligent gateway solutions, a packaged and pre-validated hardware and software product for gateways that connect legacy systems and provide common interfaces between devices and the cloud. The first set of solutions will be available in the first quarter of 2014.
To learn more about how Wind River is addressing the opportunities and challenges created by the Internet of Things visit windriver.com/iot.