Globalstar Inc., the leader in satellite messaging and emergency notification technologies, today launched its latest Simplex asset manager, the SmartOne™ C.
- SmartOne™ C breaks new ground in commercial asset management
- Compact, robust device provides connectivity for assets of any kind, whether fixed or mobile, virtually anywhere including areas well beyond cellular coverage
- Creates new opportunities for customers to leverage the power of the Internet of Things (IoT)
The SmartOne C complements Globalstar’s existing SmartOne B model while opening up new opportunities for a wide range of businesses to monitor and manage their fixed and portable assets including shipping containers, transport trailers, construction machinery and vehicle fleets.
At the core of the SmartOne C is an accelerometer that alerts owners to any unexpected motion, such as attempts of theft. The device can dynamically report asset status and monitor faults, both of which can significantly enhance operating efficiency across numerous metrics. Since the launch of the original SmartOne in 2012, over 150,000 units have been shipped and used across multiple industry sectors including multimodal, aviation, alternative energy and military customers.
This enhanced model expands Globalstar’s Simplex solutions portfolio set and offers commercial and governmental customers the opportunity to benefit from the smallest simplex asset manager in the marketplace.
Jay Monroe, Chairman and CEO of Globalstar, commented:
“Harnessing the power of the Internet of Things has the potential to help businesses and governments realize numerous operational efficiency benefits.”
“The reliability and reach of our global LEO satellite network allows us to offer a superior M2M management service and with the launch of SmartOne C, we can continue to provide compact, feature-rich, cost-effective solutions.”
As further evidence of the robustness of SmartOne, should the line power be interrupted or fail, the SmartOne B and SmartOne C both automatically switch to battery back-up to provide uninterrupted transmissions. The SmartOne C uses four AAA 1.5V lithium batteries that provide over 1.5 years of battery life. Using line-power enables shorter messaging intervals for more frequent monitoring of an asset’s location or reporting of external sensor state.
The SmartOne C uses motion sensors, comparative GPS positions and custom configured sensors to gather and transmit asset status information. It is designed for easy installation, without requiring external antennas or power. Customers can choose from a variety of software applications from Globalstar’s network of Value Added Resellers allowing the device to be custom-configured for each asset’s specific management needs, providing remote access to asset data, and providing alerts to managers/authorities via customized Application Programming Interfaces (APIs), by email or text.
SmartOne C features include:
- Reduced messaging mode: when the asset remains in the same location, messaging is reduced to increase battery longevity
- Message settings: Wake, GPS locate, transmit location, resume sleep and additional 12 programmable sleep and time-of-wake settings
- Small size: 2.7 (H) x 3.25 (W) x 1 IN (D) including brackets [69 x 83 x 25 mm]
- Lightweight: 3.6oz/102g including four batteries and mounting hardware
- Quick and flexible installation: uses industrial adhesives, brackets or screw mounts for installation
- Simple design: requires no harnesses, external power or external antenna
- Accepts contact and serial signals (TTL) from external inputs