The global connected retail market size is expected to reach USD 53.75 billion by 2022 according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc.
Increasing adoption of Internet of Things (IoT) across retail sector is expected to drive the connected retail market over the forecast period. IoT offers retailers opportunities in three important areas, the supply chain, customer experience, and new channels & revenue streams. Several retailers have successfully embraced IoT to help customers connect with the next-generation consumers, sophisticated technology, and leveraging connected devices.
Emerging retailing formats such as omni channel retailing are anticipated to fuel industry growth over the next seven years. Omni channel retailing offers a seamless and flexible shopping experience to customers by integrating and aligning channels. It creates opportunities for retailers to capture more sales and increase loyalty and brand awareness.
The widening presence of mobile devices and the expanded use of mobile networks such as e-commerce engines are expected to serve as facilitators for a unified online/offline retailing experience.
However, possibilities of unauthorized access to various IoT applications or breaking into the device connectivity system are expected to challenge the IoT connected devices industry.
Further key findings from the study suggest:
- The hardware segment is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 19% over the forecast period. The software segment is expected to witness highest growth over the next seven years owing to increasing number of applications for retail industry. Emerging app-driven hardware and embedded software into connected devices and the capability to monetize such device features and functions may contribute to industry growth. Hardware segment comprises sensors, RFID and gateway components.
- Bluetooth LE is expected to witness substantial growth, with a CAGR of over 25% over the forecast period due to significantly low power consumption. Bluetooth Low Energy has a very low transmission frequency, which greatly improves the power consumption. Wi-Fi technology dominated the market with the revenue share of over 32% in 2014.
- Managed services segment is contributed to over 40% of the overall global revenue shares in 2014. Implementing these services reduces the IT costs and enables retailers to gain the technical advantage. Retailers are increasingly outsourcing services to reduce risks and focus on its core competencies.
- Asia Pacific regional market is expected to grow at a CAGR of nearly 25% over the forecast period. Major manufacturers in the industry are based in China, owing to cheap labor and higher production capacities. Further, China is making heavy investments in IoT industry, which may contribute to market growth.
- Key industry participants include Atmel Corporation, ARM Holdings PLC, Cisco Systems, Inc., IBM, Google, Inc., Intel Corporation, NXP Semiconductors N.V.,Microsoft Corporation, PTC, Inc., Softweb Solutions, Inc., SAP AG and Zebra Technologies Corporation. Vendors are adopting strategies such as product differentiation and innovation by investing in R&D operations to gain advantage over its competitors.
The connected retail market size was estimated at USD 11.17 billion in 2014. Technological advancements and increasing numbers of Internet of Things (IoT) applications across retail segment are expected to drive growth of the global connected retail market.
The industry has evolved significantly over the last few years owing to several new technological developments. IoT is the concept of principally connecting any device including coffee makers, cell phones, washing machines, headphones, wearable devices, lamps, and almost everything with an on and off switch to the Internet. The technology is generating opportunities in retail space by offering advance inventory management, theft and fraud prevention solutions. It also offers solutions to enhance communication between retailers and customers.
Businesses are bound to follow regulations such as The EU Commissioner’s report on IoT. This report proposes certain standard requirements to be followed regarding the protection of data privacy and data usage principles and a report on the Internet of Things regarding privacy and security in a connected world by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). These standards intend to enhance and protect consumer’s privacy and security.
Rapid decline in the components costs including RFID tags and sensors has positively affected the industry. Declining cost of RFID has led to increase in demand for more and more RFID components across the retail segment to curtail fraud and theft. However, issues pertaining to privacy and security and lack of IoT standards are expected to hamper industry growth over the forecast period.
Hardware segment has dominated the market over the last few years. The segment accounted for over 60% of the total industry revenue share in 2014, owing to the increasing proliferation of connected devices at retailer and consumer levels. Further, hardware growth is stimulated by IoT including sensors and communication chips. RFID amongst hardware components is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of over 23%. Increasing adoption of RFID components in retail is due to several benefits they offer including inventory management, preventing theft & fraud, monitoring customer behavior, and preventing loss.
However, the software segment is expected to witness highest growth with a CAGR of nearly 24% over the forecast period. Software segment is flourishing due to increasing number of IoT applications across the industry. Retailers are increasingly adopting internet of things (IoT) to interact more with its customers and to gain a competitive advantage. For example, in December 2015, BMW UK has launched an exclusive end-to-end online service wherein customers can pick, finance and make a purchase for cars online. The aim of BMW retail online is to provide the dealer more opportunities and channels to get in touch with potential customers.
Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) segment is expected to witness significant growth over the next seven years owing to a surge in installation and usage of the technology. BLE transmits less data over shorter distances using much less power than Bluetooth. Retail payments and marketing verticals are increasingly using BLE technology leading to improved sales, customer loyalty, and acquisition. Although BLE has witnessed growth in customer engagement and marketing, its application is also increasing across contactless payments.
NFC technology is expected to witness growth at a CAGR of over 22% due to increasing volume of cashless payments in the industry. It is gaining popularity due to its security, ease-of-use, and versatility.
Managed services segment is accounting for over 40% in 2014, which is anticipated to witness considerable growth over the future. It significantly reduces the recurring in-house IT costs and enhances efficiency. Managed services include outsourcing the lifecycle management activities, production support activities, maintenance and support activities, and many more. As IoT in retail is gaining momentum, retailers are constantly facing rising data security threats. Therefore, to manage the expanding data base, managed service providers invest heavily in data protection, security, and disaster recovery solutions.
Remote device management services are anticipated to grow at a CAGR of nearly 24% due to tremendous growth in the remote devices at workplace. It provides security as it enables secure access to data and prevents misuse.
Asia Pacific is estimated to be the most flourishing regional market which is expected to grow at CAGR of nearly 25% over the forecast period. Developing countries in Asia Pacific including China and India are anticipated to witness considerable growth owing to the increasing adoption of Internet of Things.
North America is estimated to dominate the global connected retail industry accounting for over 35% of the revenue share in 2014. Companies in this region, especially in the U.S. are investing the most in IoT infrastructure, which is projected to drive the regional growth over the next seven years.